Friday, August 1, 2014

Day 14 and 15 and 16..Feels like a Roller coaster

Combining a few days into one post... wednesday made my 2 week mark in Malawi, I guess I have been able to accomplish a fair amount. I had a really awesome long Skype call with a Kenyan surgeon who is doing a surgical oncology fellowship in Capetown now and is actually going to Sloan Kettering September-November! She was awesome and doing great work in breast cancer. We then became friends and chatted on whatsapp. she sent some some funny pics.

Thursday was even better. FOUND A HOUSE!!! I signed the lease today but of course it's not available until september 1, so finding a place to stay for me, ben, and coco has been a bit challenging, and complicated by a dramatic morning trying to get the pet import permit. I got the permit but apparently ben needs the original to bring coco. So I went to DHL to try to to send it and called ben at 4 AM his time. We couldn't decide what to do for 30 minutes of challenging and pricey phone and internet connections ... all to find out in the end that DHL's shipment already left for the day anyway, meaning the permit wouldn't get there in the 3 day timeframe we needed. So now Ben will change his ticket and come in time for September.

Thursday night was fun because I attended a reception at the Public Affair's officers house for exiting fulbright-clinton fellows. It was really nice!

jokes from new friend

our new house from the outside

driveway of new house



really awesome falafel sandwich and pita bread for lunch at a cafe
cool sculptures at PAOs house

1 comment:

  1. I love the house from outside. I hope inside is even better. Be happy there!!!

    ReplyDelete