Friday, April 10, 2015

They cycle of Life

It has been a short, but very eventful week! Tuesday was back to work and went fine. Ben and I went to our favorite Indian restaurant for dinner. On Wednesday Ben flew to the U.S. to surprise his sister as she was due to have her second baby! I'm really excited he got to do such a lovely thing for his family, but it also meant that now he's not coming with me in May for Carly's wedding and moving/etc. His new contract is hopefully starting at the end of the month so its not good to leave so soon.

Thursday, I got to work and found out one of my close colleague's (see previous post of us in matching Chitenje dresses) mother died. She had been sick with hepatocellular carcinoma and also had a recent stroke. I went to the first part (of what i learned there are many) which was at the mortuarty in the hospital. Family and friends and supporters are in an outside common area while the body is being embalmed singing prayer songs. I saw Agnes and hugged her for a long time. She was sobbing in arms. It was so sad. You just feel so helpless. In my personal and professional life, I've dealt with death plenty of times, but here all i kept thinking how unfair it all was, that if her mom was in the U.S, she probably would have at least had a longer and better quality life. The coffin then came out with the men carrying it out, and a bunch of nuns were there and said prayers. A priest with some other men from church also came and said some prayers. Then the coffin was loaded in the truck and we walked it out of the lot. then it was taken to the home village for the burial. I didn't go to that part.

Since 2007, I've hated the month of April. Even though, I have many friends who have April birthdays, it was also when 3 of my closest family members have died, including 2 10 days apart in 2007. In fact I have a memorial candle burning now.

Thursday night, i went out to one of my favorite places: Korean with Lauren and Chris and their visiting British friends. It was fun!

Today, Kayla was born! a few days earlier then planned so Ben's timing was perfect! Although, I do think that she was excited and wanted to come out and meet her uncle :)

My clinic went really well! All, but one patient actually showed up and I even saw 2 non-study patients. One was from a ob/gyn colleague and another was a nurse in the dialysis clinic someone heard about my breast clinic (really for study--but somehow that detail was left out) and sent her sister there who I agreed to see.

Ben leaving at the airport

Remembering one life...


Celebrating the birth of another..

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such a moving and heartfelt post!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete