Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Catching up in Lilongwe

After much travel, we were finally in Lilongwe just working and hanging out. My study finally finished and I was busy with wrapping things up, data analysis, and preparing for my dissemination presentation that went really really well. On Friday Dr. Edge arrived. She is the breast surgeon from Cape Town who created the breast course. We brought it to Lilongwe and now for the past 2 days we had the residential component of the course. The course itself has been going really well. I think the participants are benefiting a lot and really learning. However there were lots of bullshit logistical issues and of course the one thing that i can't stand about Malawi--the ruins of aid--meaning the ridiculous entitlement of allowance, transport, accommodation, meals, etc. I think compromises were reached at the end, but it was a frustrating process. It's been great spending more time with Jenny. Also i had another whirlwind where there was funding available and lots of excitement and support for me to stay another year, but sadly my program couldn't guarantee my spot and its not worth the risk of loosing residency. I am sad to leave and sadly Ben and I will do long distance, but we will survive and it will be good to just hurry up and finish my training so i can go back and be more uesful.

my presentation



me teaching the breast course participants

one of our nice dinners at home--Wednesday night

our fellow farewell dinner friday--Brett and Courtney left

our saturday brunch: the $50 worth of cheese i bought in London and the pellegrino i brought from the U.S. finally opened
saturday night dinner at Brenden and Davidai's

Ben playing soccer on his new team 

No comments:

Post a Comment