Saturday, September 6, 2014

A week in Malawi

I've now been in Malawi for over a week and I'm beginning to feel settled.  We've moved into our house (blog post coming tomorrow with pictures) -- overall it's very nice but unfortunately I've gotten to know my namesake, Ben the property manager, all too well in the last week as we've had a seemingly endless stream of minor problems -- leaks, no sheets, lack of water pressure, losing power in part of the house because we blew a fuse (ok that one was 100% my fault), etc.

Now we've also obtained somewhat reliable internet -- well, reliable enough for 6+ hour work calls, not reliable enough to stream a game or show.  I know which of those I'd prefer but alas.  So expect more regular updates from here on out.

This weekend we're hosting our first visitor, Rachel, Lily's wonderful friend from med school.  Rachel is here for an obstetric fistula conference, and her fistula work has brought her to Malawi several times before.  When she did an elective here a few years ago she stayed with a Malawian family, and Lily and I have had the pleasure of hanging out with them this weekend.

First there was a trip to the pool for lunch with me, Lily, Rachel, and 3 of the kids:


Then we went off in our Cube to their house for dinner.  Prince, Ida, and Evelyn crammed into the back seat while Rachel had to sit in our trunk:


Before dinner, Prince and Ida taught us how to play a Malawian game called bowa.  Lily went an impressive 2-0 in her first two games while my and Prince's marathon duel was cut off by the start of dinner -- good thing because he had me on the ropes... 



Lydia, the mother (unpictured unfortunately), prepared a delicious homemade feast:


And after dinner, Kingsley (whose band won a musical award in 2013 for best newcomers in all of Malawi) led the entire family in a couple of songs.  Lydia and Raphael (the father) met in their church's choir and have passed on a love of (and aptitude for) music to all of their children.  A truly talented family and some of the kindest and most warm-hearted people you'd ever hope to meet.  We can't wait to see them again!



No comments:

Post a Comment