Saturday, June 6, 2015

Reflections from across the pond

I am now writing from the Calagary airport as I wait to board my flight back to NYC then off to malawi for last trip during my time off on Monday. I was at a global surgery conference here where it was the first time I presented some parts of my work from Malawi. It was well recieved :) I've been in North America now for 10 days and it's been odd. I kept feeling sad most of the time, even though I was at my best friends wedding ( yes another one!) and found us a really nice apartment ( even though I looked at literally 20) and got to see a few friends for the last time in a whole at least as they are moving out of NYC. The past 2 years off residency have been incredible both personally and professionally. I achieved my dream of doing my MPH and research at Harvard. I got prestigious grants to spend a year working and living in Africa which had been the experience of a lifetime ( the good and the bad but mainly good). I accomplished a lot in research inclusion being published in the lancet and actually made real progress in breast cancer care in Malawi. I was even extended funding to stay another year and really expand my work to make even more impact ( but unfortunately my program wouldn't hold my spot another year). I traveled to 13 different countries and made amazing friends from probably just as many countries. Ben and I had some of our best years yet together where I wasn't working like crazy and we really had time to enjoy each other's company. It's been amazing and so hard to believe that it's almost over in a few weeks and I go back to residency ( first 6 months will be alone without Ben :( ). 

I also didn't realize until this trip how living in Malawi changed some of perspectives. I always used to say I like cities only if they are like NYC or like Europe and otherwise I don't like it. Well Calgary doesn't fit either, but I actually reakky liked it. I stayed with a friend who owns a beautiful condo on a resident salary and says her mortgage was less then her rent for her studio apt in boston. The city is young, hip, modern, and fun. There are lots of great restaurant and entertainment. The hospital is great and it's surrounded by beautiful mountains and a river. It also is just so much more friendly and collegial. The few friends I did see in NYC, of course we went out (except Parisa and her baby Amin). I really love the friends we have in Malawi and how we always hang out at each other's houses taking turn making dinner and just enjoying each other's company. I miss the simplicity and small achievements that make such a big difference in Malawi. Everything feels so rushed and complex and siloed in NYC.  I also didn't  even want to go shopping (something i do normally like to do). It's hard to shop in a store after meeting and supporting an amazing local tailor who made me a beautiful wardrobe from local African fabric at a very low cost.

I guess I sort of went through something similar, a long readjustment when I moved back from Israel. It took several months then and I'm sure it will take at least that long now. On to the next adventure... 

3 comments:

  1. Baby amin and I love you and can't wait for you to come back to NY and hang out and eat yummy food :) we love you aunt lily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is going on! you will have much more different and amassing experiences in your life, because you do not afraid to LIVE to the fullest. i proud of all your achievements and that you are my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is going on! you will have much more different and amassing experiences in your life, because you do not afraid to LIVE to the fullest. i proud of all your achievements and that you are my daughter.

    ReplyDelete