Friday, January 2, 2015

New patient

I got a call earlier this week from a friend of Blandina's (the former Ms. Malawi breast cancer survivor and advocate) about his little sister who maybe was diagnosed with breast cancer and they wanted advise. I agreed to meet them to review her case and help guide them. In short, she does have this rare form of breast cancer that I've always read about and its  a popular absite question, but never actually seen. She's only 21 years old and will now need a mastectomy. The good news is that hopefully that is all the treatment she needs and she will have a good prognosis. The sad and frustrating part was of course the mismanagement she's received to ultimately get to this diagnosis and the incorrect treatment plan going forward and of course the complete lack of explaining to the patient what she has and the plans. I met with the family for about an hour taking them through everything that happened until now and ways forward. I myself had to look up the optimal treatment plan since this cancer was so rare and showed them how little information there was about this in the textbook. they appreciated my honesty and support. I also had the patient talk to one my breast health promoters (the one who is the breast cancer survivor) right then so she can feel comforted. Apparently, the family lost 2 other sisters to meningitis this summer so they are very. After our meeting I was continuing to get thankful messages from the brother and he sent me a picture them smiling for the first time in a while.


2 comments: